I was going to include this in my post earlier, but it wouldn't work. I don't have any new pics of Heather, but Kyle took this video of her this afternoon. It's nothing too exciting—just Heather being Heather.
Heather is one month old today. We "celebrated" by reading to her for the first time—Sometimes It's Turkey, Sometimes It's Feathers; Babes of the Wild; and Stanley & Rhoda. She actually did seem to enjoy it; at least, she sat quietly on my lap while I read to her.
- Vigorous bouncing (the easiest way to do this is to sit on the exercise ball and bounce as hard as you can). If her arms aren't flapping in the air, you're not doing it hard enough.
- Singing (the current favorites are "Angel Lullaby," "I Am a Child of God," "Families Can Be Together Forever," "I Love to See the Temple," and whatever Kyle makes up; I particularly like his adaptation of "Little Bunny Foo Foo").
- The sound of the hair dryer (Kyle actually recorded this and burned it to a CD so we can play it and adjust the volume easily). Sometimes this works like a magic switch—she can go from fussing to sleep in less than a minute.
- Stepping outside the front door (the current theory is that the cold air just snaps her out of her fussing cycle; alternatively, she could just be really sensitive to overheating).
- Pushing her legs up to her stomach (not so much bicycling them, but pressing them both up at the same time for a few seconds at a time).
- Putting her down (sometimes, apparently, she just wants to be left alone). We stumbled upon this one because she loves lying on her changing table. I think it's her favorite place.
- Sucking on her pacifier. We went through 3 different kinds to find one she would like, but the winner is the Nuk. Even that one she won't take all the time, but when she wants to suck, it's a gem. I was going to wait several weeks to give her a binky, but when Mom came out, she told me there was no way Heather really wanted to eat every ten minutes, for 2 minutes, for hours at a time—she just wanted to suck on something. So we started trying when she was a little over a week old, and finding one she liked totally saved me.
- Sitting in her bouncy seat with the vibration on. This is actually where she is napping right now.
We left the hospital late Monday evening and got home around 11:45. We put Heather in the Halloween sleeper we bought her for the ride home. So she still got to wear it on Halloween. We didn't get any pictures then due to being exhausted, but we managed to get a lot of sleep last night (Jess got over 3 hours!).
We've been using the sleeper again today so we did get some pictures:
And, no, I haven't shaved since Friday or Saturday.